Many seafarers from tropical climates do not have warm clothing, and they suffer in our bitter North Atlantic winters. Hand-made scarves and hats not only offer warmth and comfort, but they also represent a gift of kindness from someone who cares enough to invest their time and creativity.
Please keep in mind the following:
- Seafarers work hard and get dirty!
- Please use machine-washable yarn in dark colors
- Their job can be dangerous!
- Simple patterns are best.
- Avoid tassels, pom-poms, and fringe, which can get in the way and even create a safety hazard.