Providing for the human needs of seafarers
When Seamen’s Church Institute (SCI) welcomes merchant mariners to the Delaware Valley, we learn about the problems these individuals are facing and tap a number of resources to meet their needs.
The challenges most ship workers have in common are:
- Physical, emotional, and spiritual isolation.
- Need for warm clothes and other personal necessities.
As needed, SCI also provides:
- Counseling, companionship, support during difficult times
- Worship services and Bible study, either on shore or on ship.
- Group meals and holiday celebrations.
- Ditty bags full of toiletries and other necessities. (Now accepting product donations and volunteer help with ditty bags. Please contact us to let us know of your interest.)
- Escorts and visits to the hospital.
- Advocacy and intervention to promote social justice and fair labor practices.
- Free, roundtrip van service to area stores, the SCI Seafarer Center, sporting events, sightseeing tours, and Sunday worship services
- Educational materials to help seafarers understand U.S. law and cultural differences